Hadley “Bow” Bridge over the Sacandaga River

Town of Hadley, Saratoga County, NY

The Hadley “Bow” Bridge, the only remaining “half-deck” lenticular truss bridge of the two or three ever built, was constructed in 1885 atop foundations from an earlier bridge constructed in 1813 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. However, the bridge was closed to all vehicular traffic in 1983 because of severe deterioration. Furthermore, the bridge deck was removed in 2000 when it was no longer safe for pedestrian use.  Saratoga County planned to dismantle the superstructure but delayed this action at the request of several historical preservation groups.  Ryan-Bigss prepared a Historic Structures Report, which described the current condition of the bridge as well as several alternatives to rehabilitate the bridge for vehicular and pedestrian use. Using the Historic Structures Report, Saratoga County applied for and received a much-sought-after Transportation Enhancement Grant from the Federal Highway Administration. The proposed work involved stabilization and rehabilitation of the existing bridge as well as construction of an independent structural system to support legal traffic loads.  All proposed work was approved by the New York State Historic Preservation Office, the Federal Highway Administration, and the historical preservation groups.