Fort Ticonderoga

Ticonderoga, NY

Fort Ticonderoga (first named Fort Carillon) was constructed by the French to defend their American possessions along Lake Champlain at the time of the French and Indian War. It was subsequently occupied by both the British and the Americans. Some of the masonry walls of the Fort date back to 1755, while others were reconstructed in the early-twentieth century, using what were then state-of-practice engineering standards and construction techniques. Less than 30 percent of the original eighteenth-century building fabric survives. The walls, some of which are earth retaining and others of which are building walls, extend nearly 2,500 linear feet. The grounds of the Fort also include a historical residence, Pavilion, and the King’s Garden and Tea House. The Fort is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Ryan-Biggs has had a long relationship with Fort Ticonderoga as both a prime and a subconsultant. Since 1989, we have provided services for: structural evaluation for inclusion in the Historic Structures Report; structural repairs to timber framing of the West and South Barracks; restoration of the Pavilion portico; restoration of King’s Garden walls and Tea House; and the emergency stabilization and restoration of the West Demi-Lune, which had partially collapsed in 1997. Other projects included restoration of the Southwest Bastion, restoration of the Northeast Bastion, reconstruction of the East Barracks and East Platform, and the adaptive reuse of the Pavilion.