Proctor's Theatre

Schenectady, NY

Built in 1926, Proctor's Theatre is a former vaudeville house located in downtown Schenectady.  The theatre, located on the National Register of Historic Places, fell into disrepair throughout the 1960s and 1970s.  It was going to be torn down and turned into a parking lot until a group of activists joined together and formed the Arts District of Schenectady.  The $22.5 million expansion project needed to be approved by New York's Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.  The goal of the expansion project was to attract larger touring Broadway-type shows to the 2,700-seat venue by increasing the main stage house to three times the area of what was there before.  The project included major construction to the entire structure, adding a three-bay truck staging area, and installing state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment.  In addition, a completely new 450-seat theatre would be added in the adjacent Carl Co. Building.