Rensselaer County Court Facilities

Troy, NY

Ryan-Biggs provided the structural design for the renovation and restoration of this facility originally constructed between 1894 and 1898. In 1912, the adjacent Presbyterian Church was purchased to accommodate an expansion. In 1915, a corridor was built between the two buildings and the church was renovated. Finally, in 1964, a third annex was built. During this complex, multi-phased project, renovations were made on four buildings constructed during various time periods. The intent was to preserve the architectural character of the buildings while meeting the needs of the court. Modifications to the existing framing were made to provide for a new elevator and stairs, new security entrance, and revisions to room layouts and use, including reinforcement of floors for the court library, openings for mechanical systems, and support for rooftop mechanical units. The project was an Excellence in Historic Preservation Award Winner from the Preservation League of New York State.